LAND ROVER CUSTOMIZATION
A somewhat attempt, to list all of the accessories added by Team Member
James R to customize a Land Rover Discovery
for the different Expeditions of DRIVE FOR SMILES.
To see short video of this vehicle, click here: http://youtu.be/XSVY0zgaEWY
Roof of the Land Rover Discovery
The Flexible Roof Rack was self fabricated in such a way that should it hit tree limbs etc, it will flex and de -form itself to try and limit damage to the roof and rail gutters on the vehicle. ( already tested and it works!!! )
It has the following accessories on the roof rack:
● 4 large Spot Lights on the front
● 2 Spot Lights on the rear
● 4 Sun-Force Brand Solar Lamps of high output, each containing
60 Leds and 850 lumens.
● 6 Sun-Force Solar Panels
● 1 Tornado Siren which works with 110 volts and is radio controlled...very loud!!!
● 4 Security Sensors that can be programmed to detect any
movement up to 30 feet from the vehicle....useful when camping and one gets un-expected visitors!!
Front of the Land Rover Discovery
● Complete Snorkel Package for crossing those deeper rivers!!!
● Reinforced Front Bumper
● 12,000 LB Capacity Winch
● 2 large Spot Lights mounted on the bumper
● 2 Small High Intensity Spot Lights with their grills mounted on
the hood of the vehicle
● 1 Large Marine Waterproof Compass mounted on the hood of the vehicle
● 2 Anti Skid Plates secured on the hood of the vehicle
● 2 Quick Release Small Shovels mounted on the hood of the vehicle.
Rear of the Land Rover Discovery
● High Lift Jack
● Waterproof Video Camera which shows four different angles of the rear by remote control.
● 12,000 LB Winch ( in process of installation at present )
INTERIOR OF THE LAND ROVER DISCOVERY
● 1 Modified Center Console ( between the front seats ) which contains following:
● 12 Waterproof Switches with their individual circuit breakers for controlling spot lights
and other equipment installed in the vehicle.
● 1 Control Panel mounted on the dash that controls the front & rear cameras,and
spot lights installed on the hood of the vehicle.
● 1 Modified Ceiling Console which also contains:
● 12 Waterproof Switches with their individual circuit breakers for controlling solar equipment
and other equipment installed in the vehicle.
● 11 Digital Volt Meters which show current charge and voltage consumption for the different accessories installed in the
vehicle, and the charging efficiency or state of the 3 additional 12 volt batteries maintained by solar panels
● 1 Rear Center Console for the passenger in the back who can also control various accessories installed in the vehicle including the
monitoring of the solar equipment.
● 1 Flat Screen which Show sensor readings
● Internal and External sensors which monitor wind speed and interior / exterior temperatures
● 2 Flat Screens that show video of the front and rear cameras
● 1 Video System that includes:
● Two 7" Flat Screens- which show videos of how to remedy different break down situations ( mechanical & electrical )....for instance, complete instructions on how to replace a leaking water pump on the vehicle, and one of the flat screens can be moved to the site of the problem in the engine compartment while doing the repairs.
● 2 - 40 Channel CB Radios ( one in the front, and another for the passenger in the rear )
● 1 Cooler that runs on 12 volts that is maintained with solar energy
● 1 High Output Air Compressor of 120 LBS that works with 110 volts ( inflates tires very quickly !! )
● 1 Gasoline Powered Generater that produces 12 & 110 volts
● 1 Auxiliary Air Tank with hoses to inflate tires
● 1 Spare Wheel / Tire
● 1 Special Heavy Duty 5 Drawer Chest to hold delicate electronic spare parts & sensors
● 1 Additional Shelf at the rear
● 3 Large Containers taking advantage of the high roof
● 1 Nine Gallon Water Tank for storing drinking water, comes with its own motor and hose for also feeding the engine with water when required !!!... or washing the vehicle if we have to, on Country border crossings!!
● 1 Complete Tooling Kit for any situation!!
● 2 Fire Extinguishers
● 1 First Aid Kit
SUSPENSION AND UNDER SIDE OF
THE LAND ROVER DISCOVERY
● Ziebart Protection on the exterior and interior of the chassis
● Modified 2" Lift Suspension to take a beating!!
● All Terrain BF Goodrich Radials LT235 / 85 R16
ALSO ON THE VEHICLE.......
● 4 Racks to put under wheels to promote better traction when things are looking really bad!!!
● 4 Gasoline Containers
● 2 Shovels to help dig out of sticky situations!!
● 1 Manual Pump to inflate tires when everything else fails!!
● 2nd Spare Tire